Skills needed from working at home
Working at home would probably be the best career you can enter into today but for you to be able to survive and be successful – you must learn some skills and values needed to help you the job. When working at home, you will need the following:
· Discipline. It takes a lot of discipline working at home. Nobody gets to tell you what to do. You are on your own.
Patty is a Virtual Assistant online. Every morning her boss gives her instructions and tasks. Tasks may vary. The boss tells her to do all the tasks and submit them at a given time. Patty is disciplined enough to start early so she will have enough time to review and recheck her work.
· Honesty. In any endeavor, being honest counts a lot. For the most part, this is the key to having a long-lasting career. No employer would want a dishonest employee. Your credibility counts more than your skill.
If your employer gives you an unfamiliar task, you would not want to pretend that you know it. Your work would suffer in the end. Always be honest.
· Management. When you work at home, you also have other home chores and obligations to pursue during the day and if you do not know how to manage your time and schedule, you will not be able to finish all your responsibilities. This will be illustrated below.
Roxanne is a full time wife and mother. Aside from this, she owns a manicure and pedicure business in their neighborhood. During her free time, she writes articles for an online company. With this kind of schedule, Roxanne makes her timetable weekly. She divides and manages her time so she will be able to finish all her responsibilities and obligations daily.
· Communication Skills. Since you are working at home, all communication will be done via phone calls or Skype calls. If you do not have good communication skills, some information might not be relayed clearly. Apart from this, your information might be misinterpreted so always practice good communication skills.
· Computer Literacy. You must be abreast with the latest computer skills. All online careers need this skill. Some will need more than the basic skills.
· Reliability. You must be reliable. There are times when your boss might give you an unfamiliar task. If you are unfamiliar with a task you have to accomplish, do not wait for the boss to teach you how. Do some research on the given task and try to learn it yourself Some employers would definitely appreciate your effort and reliability skills.
· Flexibility. Everything in the world changes. Business are changing both online and offline and many will always find new innovations that can make them more profitable and efficient so you must be adaptable to change. You must be interested in learning new things. Do not stagnate from what is happening but be ready to try new and exciting methods.